Giving your medication with a Freedom 60 pump
Your doctor ordered a medication that you will give in your intravenous (IV) line using a Freedom 60 pump.You will also need to flush your IV line with a saline solution to keep it from clotting. your nurse will show you how to give your medication and flush you line safely. Unless your nurse tells you otherwise, you can throw away all used supplies in the regular trash.
1. Clean your hands with cleansing solution:
Rub your hands vigorously until they are dry.
Clean your hands each time you work with your IV.
2. Check the medication label:
Verify each label has your name and dose, and the medication is not expired.
Make sure the tubing says "Freedom 60."
Call your nurse or pharmacist and do not use the medication if the label is incorrect.
3. Lay out your supplies:
Freedom 60 pump
Freedom 60 IV tubing
Syringe with medication
Warm to room temperature if refrigerated
Flush syringes (2 for saline, and 1 for heparin, if needed)
Sterile wipes and an alcohol disinfectant cap
Preparing your medication syringe
1. Attach the tube to the syringe.
2. Open the tubing clamp.
3. Prime the IV tubing. Press the syringe plunger to fill the tubing. Loosen up the cap if it won't flow.
4. Close the clamp and rescue the tubing.
Loading the syringe into the pump
1. Confirm the pump is turned OFF.
2. Wind the pump knob until the black tab has moved to the end of the track.
3. Insert the plunger end of syringe under the clear cover. Slide the syringe back and push down so the flange fits in the pump groove.
4. Verify the disk on the tubing is seated in the tip of the pump.
How to flush your IV line
Flush with saline following the instructions below:
1. Remove the alcohol disinfection cap and throw it away.*
2. Attach the syringe firmly to the IV needleless connector using a push and twist motion.
3. Open the clamp.
4. Inject the solution.
5. Close the clamp.
6. Remove and discard the syringe.
7. Attach a new alcohol disinfectant cap after the final flush.
* If the needleless connector touches anything, CLEAN IT with a sterile wipe for 15 seconds. Before connecting anything to the needleless connector, look for particles. If seen, wipe them away with an alcohol wipe.
Administer your medication
1. Scrub the needleless connector with a sterile wipe for 15 seconds if it has touched anything.
2. Attach the pump tubing firmly to the needleless connector.
3. Ensure the IV line clamp is open.
4. Turn on the pump. You'll hear the black tab move to the syringe. The pump will run silently.
The medication will infuse for about ______ minutes.
After your infusion
1. Clean your hands with cleansing solution.
2. Close the tubing clamp.
3. Turn off the pump.
4. Wind the pump knob until the black tab has moved to the end of the track.
5. Slide the syringe back and lift the syringe tip out to remove it from the pump.
6. Disconnect the tubing from your IV line.
Flush your IV line
Follow the instructions on page 2.
Flush with saline.
Flush with heparin if instructed to do so.
Discard the empty syringe in the regular garbage.
Reuse the tubing
Tubing may be reused for up to 24 hours. Follow the steps below to reuse your tubing. Throw away your tubing after 24 hours.
1. Protect the end of the tubing with a new alcohol cap.
2. Leave the tubing attached to the empty syringe until the next dose.
With your next infusion, remove your old syringe from the tubing and connect your new syringe. Reprime the tubing if necessary.